What Worship Leaders Are Looking For When Choosing A Drummer [Video]
Having spent time with Paul Baloche on a few occasions, he’s undoubtedly one of the most respected voices in worship. In this video he shares some incredible tips for worship leaders and more importantly, for us, worship drummers.
Especially if you’re just starting out, it’s important that you “get this” from day one:
Huge fills â‰ good drummer.
It’s for this exact reason that I have refused to teach many drummers. All the they wanted was to learn the cool beats and fat fills, when in reality, they couldn’t even hold their sticks properly. So get this into your head and let it stick (sorry, I couldn’t help the pun): TIME is key! Keep good time! That’s the first thing that a band will need from their drummer!
Some key thoughts from Paul Baloche:
- Would rather have no drummer than a bad drummer
- Everybody follows the drummer
- Drummer dictates the feel, “drives the train”
- 2 main things: look at the heart and look at the skill
- A good drummer is not one who has good fills. A good drummer keeps good time!
- Consistently work with a metronome or drum machine
Pretty amazing stuff!
In this list, is there something that you need to learn or put into practice?
Share it in the comments and let’s be honest with it so we can start making things right!
(side-note: Paul’s a decent beatboxer ;))